Software Engineer - Backend
We're looking for an amazing Software Engineer to join our growing team. Come join us as we literally build an insurance company from scratch.
Surround emerged from one simple idea: all of the amazing choices that the go-getters and doers of the modern economy enjoy also creates a pervasive feeling of uncertainty. Neither age-old insurance products based on the things we (used to) own nor a customer experience relying on too many questions and a carrier pigeon serve these new consumers.
We believe this is a problem that properly designed insurance can solve. We’re attacking a $1.2 trillion-dollar market that needs a beautifully crafted user experience matched with a new approach to insurance product design.
We’re venture-backed and advised by insurance and technology veterans who share our vision and believe in our mission.
Why you want to be part of the Surround team:
- We are in the early stages of building our product. You'll have opportunities to build innovative solutions and heavily influence the product direction
- Engineering growth opportunities. You'll have the chance to work on the full technical stack and have opportunities for you to grow and learn at Surround.
- Opportunities to learn how startups work. You get a front-row seat to seeing the inner workings of an early-stage startup.
- We're high energy, get things done people. We believe there's no time for politics and no space for big egos
Some example technologies you will work with at Surround:
- Front-end: React.js, Tailwind CSS, Webpack, Cypress
- Back-end: Java, Spring, Hibernate
- AWS Services: ECS, CloudWatch, RDS, SES
- DevOps: Terraform, Jenkins, CloudFormation
What we’re looking for in applicants:
- Ability to get along with others in a business setting.
- Can-do attitude. We're constantly looking to innovate and create products that haven't been done before. You aren't afraid to come up with creative solutions that work.
- Strong sense of accountability. As part of a small team your contributions are critical to the success of the company. You must be capable of communicating and delivering work with minimal oversight.
- Beginner's mind attitude. You are capable of tackling new challenges with an open mind and a willingness to learn without preconceptions.
- Ability to write clean, robust, maintainable code. You care deeply about the quality of your code and constantly strive to improve your software craftsmanship.
- Back-end development experience. You've worked on backend codebases and you are capable of building API services to be consumed by front-end applications.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in C.S.
- 2 Years software development experience.
- Massachusetts residents only
- Experience building out full-stack e-commerce applications
- Experience with a successful product launch at a startup
- DevOps experience
We're a diverse group of insurance industry and startup veterans with a vision for how to modernize insurance. We especially encourage diverse applicants to apply. If you want to break new ground with a winning team, come join us!
Something looks off?